Wednesday, March 29, 2006

How self important are you?

Listen.

It's okay to have a point of view. Hell, like an asshole, everyone has one, and most of them stink (not unlike my own, I might add).

You have a blog. Fine. You are supposed to spout off your views. But when you are saying things on your blog for the purpose of galvanizing support for your silliness, you are taking things too far.

I've told you all. I am nothing special. I am not great. I have my opinions, and you are free to agree or disagree at your OWN digression. I will not fault you for your opinions, I will not fawn over you for agreeing with me, but I will not allow a post of yours to stay up if it agrees with me, but still proves my point.

Maybe I'm not saying this right.

Go here and read the post. Then read the comments.
--
Welcome back.

Here's the thing.

I disagree with what he says. Let me get that out of the way. But it's his blog, and I appreciate that. Good for him.

But he says in his post he hates the behavior of "certain" people, but then applauds it in his comments section. Go figure. It's perfectly okay to say:
Unsurprisingly, they all are white males, these bloggers, these gay men whose sites are an infected rash upon the skin of the blogosphere. Some of them are no more than hate-bloggers, back-slapping and high-fiving each other in circle jerks of racism, misogyny, classism, xenophobia, and most of all, homophobia.

Yes, homophobia. Because above all, the thing that they hate the most (and if you are unfortunate enough to come across any of these blogs, hate is often the Daily Special), is themselves. These are capital "A" assimilationists, mocking the mere existence of gay neighborhoods and belittling those who reside within, ridiculing the work of GLAAD and HRC, and making vicious attacks on Pride events. To some of them, people with HIV or AIDS are promiscuous, dirty drug addicts who got what they deserved. These gay right-wingers long for a world free of openly queer culture, a world where gays live fully integrated (and therefore invisible) in their picket-fenced, cul-de-sac'd McMansions. They shout that "gay is only a small part" of who they are, yet fail to see the irony in their blog titles which use words such as "gay", "queer", even "faggot". Talk about cognitive dissonance.

These gay right-wing bloggers are also inordinately smug about their own perceived personal masculinity. Many are transphobic, femme-phobic, dagger-phobic.


But then, in the comments section, it's okay (or at least it must be, since he let them post...)
Queer conservatives keep me awake at night. Apathetic queer folk, however, run a close second to giving me fits. There are many gay folk who have just enough comfort in their lives that they tune out the problems faced by the rest of the queer community. They don’t face arrest, they own/rent a nice home, and they have a stable job. Thus, they don’t see a need to pay attention to any of the political issues facing the queer community. Nor do they imagine themselves as really part of that community in the first place.

For some, saying “being gay is just one part of me” translates into “I don’t really care what happens to any other gay person besides me except maybe the person who shares my bed.”

and
One thing useful about Gay Republicans is that they basically prove that being gay is biological and involuntary, because if anybody could really change, those homophobic homos would be the first in line to do so.


and

Gay republicans as usually tops, either flacid and/or underendowed .
No wonder they've got issues. Actually subscriptions.


and I have to end it on this fine quote:

The bloggers of which Joe speaks are so full of irony it alomost kills me. They loathe the things most while forgetting that it doesn't matter how assimlationist they are the minute a homophobe finds out they're gay, they're going to hate them just as much as they hate thier effimnate, cher loving counterparts.That's what bigots do, lump everyone in the same boat.


That my friends, is a perfect example of: a hypocrite.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You remove comments if they disagree with your view?

Really?

Then why does this blog enable comments, other than galvanizing support for your silliness?

Also: "MiKell"?

Really?

3/31/2006 2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, Joe. I don't remove comments if they disagree with what I post. I don't think of myself as that important, and I believe I said that in my post. You, on the other hand, obviously do.

And to your first question: that is the ONLY reason I allow posts on this little blog. Otherwise, why write it?

And if you knew me, you'd know why I chose that particular on-line name.

4/01/2006 8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home