Wednesday, May 10, 2006

My Day

Someone was supposed to show up and give me a check for an order (between 0800 and 0830).

We had a new person starting, so I had to have paperwork ready for her to sign. But not until the afternoon.

Standard morning meeting at 0830.

The Phone company representative would call sometime after 0930, but before 13:00 to talk about moving our office down the road.

The furniture company person would call, sometime during the day, to talk about our "needs" for the new office.

The owner of the company was in the office.

The Director of the South Florida office was in the office.

Goofy Sales Guy was supposed to be in the office, but wasn't.

Pre-arranged teleconference at 13:00 to talk about PAR levels of equipment.

--[End of "normal day" scheduling]

Nobody calls before 11:00. Neither does anyone show up at the office. Except the new girl.

So I'm eating lunch, at my desk, and the phone rings. And rings again. While I'm on the phone with one, I see three other people calling. (Having thought about it later, EVERY time someone got me on the phone, I would see three and four people waiting on hold for me...)

While all of this is going on, the person who was supposed to show up early this morning finally shows up, without a check. He has cash. $10,000 in cash. This is not a cash business. I am lucky to make change for him. Then the guy calls about the office furniture. Then it's time for my conference call about PAR levels. Then they guy from the phone company walks in the door and wants to discuss our needs.

At this point, I still haven't gone to the bank, and am feeling nervous. My desk is in the outer office, and I have no way to lock it up.

The 15 minute meeting about PAR levels went on for more than 1-1/2 hours. Mostly because the man running it mumbles. He's a nice guy, but he mumbles. Also, he rants on and on pointing to his computer as if we can see it, because, once again, it's a teleconference.

At this point, I'm still trying to get to the bank before 14:00, and given up. So I re-evaluated, and decided it just had to be before I went home for the day... I was SO not gonna hold onto that over night... and tried to walk out the door. At this point, I got a call from the "home office" saying they wanted me to fax the "hire" paperwork of the new girl to them. I hadn't even "checked" it yet, to ensure she'd filled it out correctly - as I normally do.

I am not comfortable faxing paperwork like that. Typically I don't. I send via overnight UPS, and don't keep a copy. I don't need a copy. And I don't need to "fax" it to a machine that has no one overseeing it. Any one could pick up the info. So, I scanned it all in, and e-mailed it. Tomorrow, once I know they've received it, I'll delete the info.

Then, after I hit "send", I was walking out he door to go to the bank (finally), and the phone rang again. It was someone from A/R. I chose not to answer, fearing a call wondering why I hadn't been to the bank yet.

When I got back from the bank, safely placing the company earned money in the company account, I stopped answering the phone.

Finally, I felt better.


Blogger Steve said...

Holy Crap! I would've went nuts. And, good for you for not answering the phone.

5/11/2006 2:59 AM  
Blogger Sorted Lives said...

Your a better man than me. If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer it. I guess I should check my messages; it has been a week now....

5/11/2006 6:24 AM  
Blogger Sorted Lives said...

duhh, it you're NOT your -- sometimes my brain moves faster than my fingers!!

Here's to a better Thursday!

5/11/2006 6:26 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Hope today went better for you :) By the way, I love your use of military time - brings back memories growing up as a military dependent.

5/11/2006 4:01 PM  
Blogger Spider said...

I thought we hospital people were the only ones that still used military time...

5/14/2006 8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home