Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Maybe I'm just a dick...

... and unappreciative.

Actually, that isn't true. I am appreciative. I just set the expectations too high, and was woefully disappointed (once again) that things didn't turn out exactly as I thought they should.

I got a good review. A damned good one. And after further pondering the issue, a pretty damned good raise, too. 8% -- can you believe it? Obviously, worshipping at the Alter was a good idea.

But here is the kicker. The company I work for doesn't pay very well. I think I've mentioned before that, had I not been on Unemployment when I was offered this job, I would have laughed them out of their own office when they told me what the hourly rate was. It is easily 25% lower than this position is paying in the Orlando area. I was thinking 1) that it was better than unemployment and; 2) that if I worked to the best of my ability that they would make the correction if they knew I was serious about it and did a good job; and 3) I might actually LIKE the job.

How does that song go? "...but two out of three ain't bad."

I've had two things said by supervisors, 20 years apart, that I believe in whole heartedly:

"At the end of the day, do you feel like you draw a paycheck, or earn a paycheck?"

and

"If you can do it morally, ethically, and honestly, do it."

I believe that I live by these two statements.

So, after sleeping on it, I've decided I must be an ungrateful son of a bitch; telling myself to get OVER myself, and be thankful for what I have. By and large, I like my job and enjoy going to work, which is more than most people can say.

2 Comments:

Blogger Spider said...

So - you working in the not-for-profit sector also huh...

I left my previous job because I just couldn't stand the working conditions anymore... the psychotic boss from hell, a CEO who was an unethical bastard and a generally crappy atmosphere in which to work. My new job pays less, but the atmosphere is fantastic, it is challenging, the staff is wonderful, my boss is supportive... and while I KNOW I am worth so much more, I am just so happy to be in an environment where I really LIKE coming to work in the AM... I am not complaining - well not TOO much...

I certainly don't think you are an ungrateful son of a bitch... you are just an average working guy who wants to be paid what he is worth - and in Florida, the KING of the Right to Work states, that will NEVER happen!

11/16/2005 7:50 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

No, spyder, I definatly work in the "oh-so-for-profit" sector, that's what makes it so bad. The company is doing extremely well this year, and my office is beating the corporate office in sales, so there isn't any excuse. But MY position doesn't make "billable" hours, so they don't feel like it is worth the extra cash...

But about Orlando/Florida wages, I disagree, as I used to work, as a temp, for Lockheed Martin, where I made $14 per hour - plus time and 1/2 for overtime, and didn't work nearly as hard as I do now. Besides, I had plenty of evidence from local "want ads" with me SHOWING how little this company pays, compared to other Orlando companies.

11/16/2005 7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home