Wednesday, January 04, 2006

I know... I know...

I'm a gay-white-male-who-is-about-to-turn-forty, so I'm supposed to tow the Democratic party line and only vote for Gore, Kerry, or someone named Clinton.

Sorry kids. It just ain't gonna happen.

For the record (and I'm sure I've mentioned it before), I did not vote for our current President, either time. Also, for the record, I am a registered Republican, and always have been. Probably because of my military background. But, unlike most people (it seems), I vote for a candidate, not a party. I just happen to believe in more of the Republican platform than the Democratic one.

Does that mean that I don't believe in the right of me and TheHusband to marry each other? I'd have to give that a resounding "no".

But it does mean that I believe that abortion is wrong. I believe that a woman's body is her own, and she should be able to decide what to do with it. Further, though, if I were the "potential" father, it should be within my rights to force "her" to have the child. Once "said" child is born, she can either decide to have a relationship with it or not, as long as I am willing to accept all the responsibility for the child. If I am not, than she should be able to decide for herself (with my input).

Having said that, I have paid for a woman to have an abortion. It's true. It's what she wanted, what she needed, and what she believed was best for the child. Sort of. Just so's you know, it was not my child, but she was my friend. I do not judge my friends. They just are.

The reason for my post? (And BTW, I am quite cognizant of the fact that whenever I post anything remotely political here that the comments dwindle...) is because I ran across a little graphic over the weekend. Here it is.



I haven't fact-checked any of the figures, but it doesn't matter. The point is the same.

Shut up about this stupid non-declared war. If you've never volunteered your service, as most (Viet Nam is an exception) of these men/women have, just STFU.

It could have easily have been me, and yes, I would have gone. Without question.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pookie65 said...

While my political beliefs lay on the other side of the spectrum from yours I totally respect your right (ability) to think and decide for yourself.

It's the political sheep on BOTH sides of the fence that drive me insane. While a registered Democrat I've always voted for the person and never a staight ticket.

I do my own research and make decisions based on what "I" find and not what Rush Limbaugh or Michael Moore tell me to think.

Kudos to you on speaking your mind.

And for the record I thought you and yours were alreadt at (or close) to the 15 year mark :-) Seems as if any couple, straight or gay, find it hard to reach anywhere beyond 5 years these days.

Have a great day, dearie!

1/05/2006 7:48 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

Mikell - you are never going to get any objection from me to a person who is speaking his mind and his convictions. I to am a life-long registered Republican who thinks that the entitlement society is way out of wack.

Would I have gone, to either VietNam or Iraq - probably, because I know it is the right thing to do... would I have been happy, probably not.

And as for your statement about your friends, I love it... they just ARE - and that is how they should be.

Great post!

1/05/2006 8:56 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

great post, mikell, like spider loved the statement about friends...they just are. How right you are.
btw, thanks for dropping by the other day..

1/05/2006 9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home