Wednesday, April 26, 2006

What's wrong?

My phone rang at 0330 this a.m.

There is never a good reason for the phone to ring at 0330 in the a.m.

Of course, by the time I realized it was ringing, woke up, and got out of the bed to find it, it had stopped. It registered as "Private", so I don't even know who it was. We don't have an answering machine, nobody calls us at home - that's what our cell phones are for. Mostly we use it to register services (i.e. the power company, the cable company, etc.) and to have something to hook the fax machine to.

Then, and only then, did I realize that when TheHusband moved the furniture around in the bedroom a few weeks ago, he moved the bedside phone to his side of the bed. During the ringing, he remained asleep, completely oblivious. I don't know why he did that (The phone is moving back to my side of the bed later today).

So I spend the next half hour tossing and turning, waiting for the phone to ring again, or to fall asleep, whichever happens first. Of course, neither did. So I got up and made coffee.

I can't call my siblings. Time differences prevent me from trying. IF it was just a wrong number, then I would be doing to them what had just been done to me.

Typically, when a number registers as "private", it's my eldest brother because he forgets to turn off his "caller i.d. block". But I can't help thinking he would have called back, or tried my cell phone too.

My mother's mother isn't in the best of health. Also, my eldest sister's husband is not-long-for-this-world, the result of a burst appendix (yes, this can kill you, and it's long and painful death). My dad's aunt died last weekend, but since she lived here in the area, I doubt it was anyone on the West Coast calling to tell me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Yikes. Did you ever find out who it was? My Mom always says nothing good ever happens at that time of the night ('cept I get up for work at 3), so I hope it was a wrong number, or something like that.

4/26/2006 10:16 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Thanks for that.

And yes, it MUST have been a wrong number. I called my eldest brother at 0830 HIS time, and he said it wasn't him. So I guess all is okay.

4/26/2006 8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home