Monday, August 22, 2005

"Get up and do something about it..."

That's what I said to TheHusband yesterday.

I freely admit that I am not handy with a tool. When my car needs work, it is my husband's job. When something breaks, it is my husband's job.

So, as I am doing my Sunday chores yesterday, laundry, cleaning, etc., the toilet in my room started gurgling.

Yes, you read that right. Gurgling.

The washing machine was draining and it was affecting the pipes on this side of the house. Shortly after that, waste water (presumably from the washer - leave me to that thought, m'kay?) started pouring into my shower from the drain.

I went to find TheHusband. He was laying on the couch. I told him what happened and he just sat there, looking off into space. After a few minutes, I couldn't stand it anymore.

I said, "Stop thinking about it and get up and DO SOMETHING." He asked what he should do. I told him to find out what the problem is and fix it. He said that we didn't have a snake and maybe I should call a plumber.

I couldn't believe it. Here I was cleaning this stupid house all by myself, yet again, and doing HIS stupid dirty laundry, and that was the best I was going to get out of him? It's not like I stopped him from mowing the lawn, trimming the bushes, chopping the firewood, or overhauling the car. HE WAS LAYING ON THE FUCKING COUCH.

I put on some decent clothes and went to the store for some Liquid Plummr.

When I came home, he was laying on the bed watching TV. I gave up and did what I could.

Later on, I went on my weekly trip to the grocery store. When I came home, he was still on the bed, napping.

At this point, I am, of course, steaming. Good thing I do my laundry first. It was all done and hung in my closet. His? Still in the washer and dryer. I left them there, not that he will notice.

Later in the day, he finally got up and left the house. I'm thinking that he's going to the Home Depot to get whatever it takes to fix this issue. I am wrong.

He went to the Home Depot alright. He got parts to fix the air conditioner unit which has been leaking for the last two weeks. Fix is a reletive term for TheHusband. Typically it means a liberal use of Duct Tape.

This time was no different.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pookie65 said...

Husbands and procrastination go hand in hand. I stopped doing his laundry a year ago. It was either that or move into seperate houses. Now when I see he's been to Ross or TJ Max for new underwear I know in my heart it';s not because he's smelling the roses in some other mans garden -- he's just out of clean britches.

8/22/2005 10:46 AM  
Blogger richwhiteboy said...

I am laughing so hard! This is exactly the kind of arguments my lover and I used have years ago. During the first few years of our relationship.

After a while we calmed down and each took on our responsibities. He vacuumed. I did the laundry. It all fell into place. We used to have the biggest fights about dirty dishes and coffee stains.

Mr. Affecting Me Now, all that is so unimportant now that he is gone.

In the end, it was me lifting him from the bed to the bathtub and bathing him and then getting him back to the bed again and getting all his IV's hooked up to the right plugs, and stuff like that.

And making sure that his favorite cat, Chico, was there beside him before I left for work in the morning.

Chico is still with me. My lover is not.

Well anyway.

8/23/2005 10:03 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Although I appreciate your thought, I don't think you've spent as much time reading my journal, as I've spent reading yours.

I appreciate no one as much as I appreciate TheHusband. Question that? I'd invite you to read my very first post in this journal.

This does not mean that I am not permitted to bitch about our daily lives. I give credit where credit is due, I think. See the post directly after this one.

8/24/2005 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home