Monday, October 16, 2006

Conundrum...

When TheHusband and I lived in D.C. I had recently been diagnosed with HIV. (oh, crap, that rhymed.)

It wasn't a big deal. I mean, it was, but it wasn't. People didn't care. They cared, of course, but you were just another person they knew, that was HIV positive. I am not ashamed of it. It was a stupid decision (not to use a condom) on my part, and I accept that.

But, after moving to Orlando, I noticed a difference in attitudes. People would whisper "See him? He's got the AIDS..." And yes, this was in a gay bar.

I learned to keep my mouth shut. People didn't want to know. And if they did, they'd surely talk behind your back. And make shit up.

When I started this 'blog, it was because the illness was seriously attacking my body. I needed some way to vent. It has, of course, become something more than that.

I made friends. Both virtual and now, real. At least I hope so. And there are too many things that can happen to keep me from at least taking the next step.

After spending the weekend with some extremely nice people, who I hope will be friends, I noticed something. I was letting them take my picture, but they knew that I don't post my face-pic without it being very far off in the distance, or covered by a plant or something. So these new friends didn't post them. I didn't ask them not to, they just assumed it was what I wanted.

How nice is that?

And so... I release you all. Post away.



And if you are mean to me, I'll delete this post and call you out for the evil bitches that you are.

Tread lightly, Sorted.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Who are you, and what have you done with Sorted?

10/17/2006 7:05 AM  
Blogger Lemuel said...

I certainly understand your original desire to maintain your privacy. I have somewhat different reasons, but in a sense I too have a "disease" that others find distasteful.

From what I gather from the crowd you hung with over the weekend, you have made VERY good friends, who will respect and love you for who you are.

I found your blog through them. I'm certainly glad I did.

10/17/2006 7:05 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

I can't tell you both how much I enjoyed your all's company this weekend... and believe me, I understand the picture thing!

However, you are one VERY handsome man with a great smile... you should post away with wreckless abandon!

Again, your all's being there made the weekend what it was - a fantastic time! We BETTER be seeing you two on a regular basis...

Remember, crabs tonight if you all can make it!

10/17/2006 7:33 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

I see you!!

10/17/2006 11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to finally see the face behind the writing. I was starting to wonder after seeing the picture on Sorted's site. Not that she isn't a lovely drag queen, but, well, you know. Glad everyone had a lovely pride. I hope next year to attend!

10/17/2006 2:15 PM  
Blogger Cincy Diva said...

For some reason, I pictured you with much darker hair. Glad to finally place a face with the writing.
You have good friends surrounding you and a loving man by your side. Be damned with what the jealous bitches say! LOL
TISDQ is on her way!
Hugs
Cincy Diva

10/17/2006 7:06 PM  
Blogger The Health-Bound Chicagoan said...

As it's already been pointed out, you are such a handsome man - I might be attracted to more blondes if they looked like you! I definitely hope you'll be posting more pics of yourself.

10/17/2006 9:21 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Pumpkin, that blonde comes out of a bottle.

And I might agree with any of the posts about how "handsome" I am, if my fucking nose wasn't so god-blessed big.

Sorry. That's all I see. Glasses and a big honking nose.

10/17/2006 9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big handkerchiefs?

10/18/2006 6:53 PM  
Blogger The Health-Bound Chicagoan said...

Oh. I should've known. I'm never attracted to true blondes! ;) As for the nose and glasses, that's definitely not what I see (even after you pointed it out). I see the entire handsome package.

Time to get ready for the arrival of my Ghana Guy! Might have more pics for you soon . . . he's a bit of an exhibitionist.

10/19/2006 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home