Thursday, March 02, 2006

Sorry, kids.

I just haven't had anything to say of late.

Not that there hasn't been anything going on, there has. Nothing important. Not worth talking (blogging?) about.

But today, I was listening to Philips. At one point he was talking about the teacher who was suspended (temporarily, I'm sure) for statements he made during class. Anti-Bush, Anti-America, Anti-Just-About-Everything.

I believe in Free Speech. Really I do. But this isn't that.

I don't think anyone is arguing that he "isn't allowed to say that" to someone. I just don't think it belongs in a High School GEOGRAPHY class. I hear him pull down and point to a map once (you never forget that sound, even 20 years later). But once, in this entire rant (again, in a GEOGRAPHY class) isn't enough.

Send him back to the classroom. Just make sure he follows what is in the textbook.

6 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

I agree... not in a geography class. To me, it's kinda like those oh, so important Hollywood types. I don't give a f**k what they think about Bush, The War On The Terrifying Terrorists Of Terror, or anything political, for that matter. I just want them to shut the f**k up and sing, act, or whatever it is they do.

3/03/2006 6:58 AM  
Blogger cola boy said...

I agree with you, too. Even if I agree with what he was saying, it didn't belong in a geography class.

3/03/2006 8:29 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

You are spot on Mikell - you don't yell FIRE in a theatre and you don't air your personal views in a Geography class - especially when I bet 3/4 of the kids in that class can't identify all 50 states...

3/03/2006 10:59 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Ah... Spider. I had a conversation the other day with a youngun. He swore there were 52 states, and Hawaii was NOT one of them.

After 5 minutes, I gave up trying to convice him that he was wrong.

3/04/2006 8:30 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

Must have attended one of our FINE Orange County public schools... let me guess, Oak Ridge, Jones or Colonial...

3/04/2006 4:57 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Actually, no. He moved here from New Jersey last year. He has two kids of his own.

It's so sad.

3/04/2006 8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home