Thursday, July 20, 2006

Misty Water Colored Memories...

If you looked at something for five years, it would stand to reason that you'd recognize it again after not seeing it for a while, right?

Like when I visit my "home town".

I know my way around. I know shortcuts from point A to point B. I know where the main drag is. I know where my High School, Middle School, and Elementary School all are. I know where the restaurant where I had my first job NOT picking a fruit (or vegetable) was. I know where the kids would drive to on Saturday nights and watch the "submarine races". I remember where the Laundromat was that I used to buy cigarettes candy out of the machine for 60 cents a pack. Where the best peanut butter shakes in town can be bought. Which bridge has the best rope swing from which you could drop into the river and ogle the high school football players.

I said "home town" in quotes because I only lived there for a total of six years out of my life. Not six years in a row, mind you. I moved there at eight years old, again at 12 years old, and finally at one month shy of my 17th birthday. I've not lived there since I graduated High School, and have only been back a few times in the last 22 years.

So, would you agree? If you look at something closely for five years, would you recognize it if you saw it 15 years later?

I would. I do.

I did.

I was trolling looking through Craigslist DC the other day and ran across a picture of my ex-husband. (NSFW!!)

You think I'm kidding.

I'd know him anywhere.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Ah, the tell-tale freckle. Or is it tell-TAIL freckle???

7/20/2006 9:04 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Funny you picked up on that.

Then there was the other thing. The vein in the shape of a certain letter you might recognize, Dave, since you wished it on me.

Can you see that?

7/20/2006 9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home