Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Blockbuster

Months ago, TheHusband and I went to Blockbuster and rented three movies. BTW, he almost NEVER goes with me when I rent DVDs to watch. I might ask him if there is anything special he wants to see, but he won't go with me. He had to go with me of course, he was trapped in my car, with me driving.

Anyway, I watched "Rent" by myself and returned it the next day (I knew I'd buy it later on when it was cheaper). The other two movies, I never watched. TheHusband said he did, but they were both so bad that he only watched a few minutes of each before giving up. Another week goes by and he was on his way out, so I asked him to return them. That next Saturday, I get a nasty-gram from Blockbuster about not returning them, and if I don't, I'll be charged and I will own them. I asked TheHusband if he had, in fact, returned them. He said yes. I asked if he took them back to the store we rented them from, and he said no.

The next week, I got yet another nasty-gram, but they had "received" one of the movies back. I blew this off, since they got one, and they were both turned in at the same time, they'd get the other. Eventually.

Fast forward to this last Sunday. I rented two movies, "Date Movie" and "Jarhead". The clerk said there was a "hold" on my account for a movie that wasn't returned on time. $22.04. She called over the supervisor... I was told what the movie was (remembering the story), and I asked if they got it back. She said yes, that they had received one movie in late March, and the other sometime in May (MAY???) but she didn't know where the movie actually was at that moment. I told her that I could own up to returning the movie late, and could probably accept that I now, in fact, own the movie, but that I wouldn't pay for it if she couldn't hand it over to me right at that moment. She agreed, and temporarily removed it from my account so that I could take my new choices home.

She said she'd ask the manager where the movie was, and also asked what an "acceptable" resolution would be. I said, again, I'll pay for the movie, but they had to hand me the disk at the same time, or have the charges removed from my account. Simple. Happy as a clam (at the moment), I left.

Then, once I got home, I looked at my receipt. Using the "Jarhead" DVD as an example, I have a question.

If I spent $4.29 on the rent, and the receipt says I can own it on 7/31 (the OVERdue date) for an additional $8.70, how does that equal $22.04? By my calculations (granted, elementary math was a really long time ago for me) there seems to be an additional $10 unaccounted for) Shouldn't some obviously unrentable movie be LESS than the widely popular "Jarhead"?

Too much thinking for this morning. "Date Movie" was funny as all get out, and "Jarhead" was extremely thought provoking (read: good).

Rent/buy them both.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Health-Bound Chicagoan said...

I just signed up for Netflix (so I don't have to drive all over Houston), and I've been thinking about seeing Date Movie, but wasn't sure. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll add it to my Netflix queue :) I agree that Jarhead was very thought-provoking.

7/19/2006 9:17 AM  
Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Blockbuster is just pure evil .. May I also heartily recommend Netflix? Watch at your own pace, pay one monthly fee .. and they've never said I didn't when return something when I surely did .. I've been nothing but pleased ith it

7/19/2006 4:26 PM  
Blogger Nick Moretti said...

I've had the same thing happen at Lackluster soooo many times I stopped using them. I ALWAYS return the movie the next day and then get the nasty phone message about having to pay for it. And they always add late fees even when you bring it back on time. NOT worth renting from them.

7/19/2006 4:27 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Thanks for recommanding.

I never go to Blockbuster.

I prefer the little independently owned video/dvd store on the corner.

7/19/2006 6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home