Thursday, September 14, 2006

Open Wide

I went to the dentist today.

Yeah. First time in, oh, I don't know... 13 years. When I made the appointment, I also made them promise they wouldn't yell at me. The original 1st appointment (diagnosis, cleaning, x-rays) that I made last week was scheduled for November 29th, the soonest available. They said they'd call if they got a cancellation sooner.

Boy howdy, they called.

I have pretty good teeth, luckily. Up to now, I've had three cavities. In 40-year-old teeth, that isn't too bad, I think. I had some veneering done on my front two about 20 years ago, to close a gap and cover some discoloration. The hygienist says it is in pretty good shape for being on there that long.

I went to this particular office because TheHusband recommended them. I call them his unofficial second home, he is there so often. Each and every person I spoke to asked me about him. "How is he doing?" "Tell him we said HI!!". Wasn't he just in here last week with his latest chipped-tooth, or lost filling, or whatever?

They cleaned my teeth and said I was doing a good job, obviously brushing my teeth twice a day and flossing. I said thanks, and in my head, telling myself not to mention that I only floss if something is stuck after a meal, and only brush once a day. But EVERY day, if that means anything.

The doctor was so sweet, I felt the need to brush my teeth afterwards (a lame joke, but I am going to own it!). I was feeling offended for the "girls" in the office because he kept calling all of them "honey", until I realized he called me "babe", as in "How's it going, babe?" He just doesn't use names, I guess. TheHusband says the Doc does the same thing to him.

He said my x-rays looked good, no issues. I, uhm, said, "Don't I have a cavity?" He said no... I asked him to look again. I thought maybe I had one on my last molar, back left top side. He looked again, adjusted the x-ray, and said, "Oh, yeah. There it is..."

I have to go back, once in November and once in December. I have a bit of periodontal disease, so a major scraping is in the works. That will be fun...

I think I should get a discount for diagnosing my own cavity.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Blobby said...

Honest. Get the ultrasonic deep root cleaning. I didn't go to a denist for 8 yrs. It's like a much less painful scraping.

9/14/2006 9:53 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

HATE the dentist. All of my experiences - since I was a kid - were horrifying. And yeah, I really should go, too.

9/15/2006 7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home