Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Playing Nurse-maid

TheHusband had to have a bit of surgery today. He's needed it for a number of years, but finally, the daily nagging I've been giving him has taken hold.

Yes, he had a hernia, I mean... needed a circumcision... er... I really mean: he had a Hydrocele. If you don't know what this means (and I'll bet many of you do, you just didn't know what it was) you'll have to allow me to be a bit graphic. If you are easily grossed out by pictures of inside the human body, please do not click on the next two links. m'kay?

A normal Testis. I'm sure most of you can figure it out. It should fit in the palm of your hand.

An example of what TheHusband's looked like (though this was NOT his). It took two hands, and by that I mean the palms and fingers) to cup his enormous ball sack. Picture a really large grapefruit... and that was just one side.

So the third time was a charm. Today was the third time we've scheduled the operation. An Out Patient procedure, thankfully.

We arrived at 0830, for a 10:00 procedure. I had scheduled the day off, of course. They finally took him away around 10:10. So I proceeded to wait. And wait. And wait some more.

Around 11:30, the Doc came out to tell me everything went fine, and what to expect for the next few days. He said they'd come to get me once they had him out of the OR.

They didn't. They waited until around 13:15 when he was almost ready to leave. They gave me the instructions he would need, along with the prescriptions for pain and infection. So, I brought him home.

I've given him the portable phone so all he has to do it hit the "Intercom" button, and I hear anything he needs. And believe me, he is using it.

"MiKell, I need a new icepack... MiKell, can I have some broth?... MiKell, can I have some more juice? MiKell, can I have some ice water? MiKell, can I have some toast? MiKell, can you help me to the restroom? I have to pee."

Oi Vey.

I've realized something. He makes a better nurse-maid than a patient, and I make a better patient than a nurse-maid.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Just remember, if you smother him with a pillow they can tell.

3/08/2006 11:10 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

The both of you are in my prayers, a speedy recovery for the BF and for you Mikell to find some Florence Nightingale patience.

3/09/2006 6:37 PM  
Blogger DEREK said...

I know exactly what your talking about, Mike had the same thing.

3/09/2006 11:45 PM  
Blogger Spider said...

Just think of all the great Karma points you are getting...

3/10/2006 11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home