Monday, July 24, 2006

My Weekend

It didn't start out as much.

Saturday, TheHusband decided to "make something out of" the old air conditioner closet. As I rolled my eyes, I thought of (at least) three "projects" he has started, and yet not finished. 1)The backyard pond (still leaks) 2)The 'make two rooms out of one' (the "new" walls have still not been painted), and 3)the back porch.

It will be fine, I'm sure...

Anyway, I finally decided that I need to force myself to buy a DVR. I no longer tape TV to watch, because our VCR is old, and sometimes just doesn't feel like it. I didn't care if it was TIVO or a CD-R/W system. As long as it was hooked up to the TV here in my den, I would be happy. And besides, I deserve it. I never spend money on ME. So I told the husband where I was going, and drove off to Target.

I got there and wandered around. I found myself in the housewares department, and looked at bedspreads. We've been using the same quilt for the last five years, and while it works great in the winter, it's use is lacking in the warmer weather, if you know what I mean.

So I found the PERFECT one... provides warmth, without being too hot, in the perfect colors... meaning that I wouldn't have to purchase a new sheet set, too. I pondered purchasing this for 10 minutes before finally putting it into my cart.

Then, off to the men's clothing department. After all, it was the first day of No Sales Tax" for clothing purchases of less than $50. In the ENTIRE department, I found one... count 'em... ONE pair of pants that should fit. They had NO pleats, and they satisfied the 'neck test' as well as the 'holding them up to my waist' test. Though I should, I still can't force myself to try them on before I leave the store.

Then I wandered over into the electronics section, where the DVRs would be. I stood there looking at each and every one of them... There was a TIVO for $199 (with a $140 rebate, but then you have to sign up for the service) and four or five different CD-RW of all different price ranges. What I really wanted was something that records to a hard drive, but not have to pay a monthly fee for. I guess I want too much.

I spent 20 minutes doing this. I am sure that the cameras were trained on me, wondering when I was going to try and steal one. I left that section of the store without putting anything in my cart.

Then I wandered over to the DVD section. I looked at quite a few, but only one was catching my eye. Smallville, season 1.

Let me just say this about that. I have not followed the show over the last five years. I have only begun watching it on Saturdays, on my local WB station. Unfortunately, I've only seen every OTHER episode, as they are skipping them. I don't know why. I know. It is very gay (I hate that term) for a man of forty years to admit he watches Smallville. Hell, I go through the same thing whenever I admit to watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer series. Consequently, whenever I am watching TV, TheHusband will wander into my den to ask "Are you Buffy-u-lating?", no matter what I am watching.

Anyway, I picked up the Season 1 DVD, and put it down. Picked it up, and put it down. Then I decided to chose another path, and picked it up and put it down. I did this for another 20 minutes. Finally, I put it into the cart, and proceeded to the check out.

I did make it out of the store with all three of these things, amazingly enough. I was without, however, the reason for driving to the store. No DVR.

I don't get it. Why is it that I can spend countless $$$ on a gift for someone else, without thinking about it, and can barely spend anything on myself?

BTW, I watched the DVDs until 23:00 that night, woke up at 0430 Sunday and started watching again. I watched through the day, while doing my chores, and finally finished about 1800 Sunday evening.

My goal for this Saturday is to force myself to go back to Target and purchase Season 2.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

You should pack a lunch when you go shopping. lol

7/25/2006 6:25 AM  
Blogger stasia said...

Heh that's like me with 24. My fiance "acquired" the entire series up through season 4. I did nothing but watch that while home until I finished. And then I went through withdrawals when Season 5 started because I had to wait a week for each new episode.

I think I'm only going to watch series that have been taken off the air from now on.

7/25/2006 5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home